Tuesday 17 May 2011

Bitten by the TV bug

In a small town in Haryana, a girl – lively, full of life gets molested! Instead of being a supportive society, her family has to suffer the humiliation – being deprived of basic amenities. As fate would have it, later the same girl gets married to her molester’s son and life becomes a curse for her. This high-voltage drama refers to the daily soap “Maryaada – Lekin Kab Tak” on Star Plus.

Being a very selective viewer this soap has got me completely hooked with its bold subject and amazing star cast. All thanks to my roomie who made me change my gaze from my book to accompany her watching the show.I am generally not the kind who would like to come home to a television. We see enough drama in life, and we can do without some melodrama on television by surfing channels aimlessly because most of them seem the same.


Stressed out working professionals like me deserve to watch some refreshing and entertaining programmes which would at least de-stress us. Correct? I always find it an aspiring habit of returning home after work and then look out for something which would entertain me apart from the music channels. “Aspiring” because I could never ever fulfill this desire since the days I have started working. But I think this particular series has ignited the woman in me. Surprising, isn’t it? Well I can’t believe that I’m sitting and blogging about one of the Star Plus shows! My mother would be glad, I never watch these shows with her, and I have mostly mocked at her.

What I like about this particular show?

Maryaada has a bold subject matter; well the time slot says it all (11 pm). It’s all about four female protagonists who refuse to cross their maryaada and keep bearing the pain and suffering for the sake of their family. Well, it does sound like a very male dominated soap but it’s not, mind it. It’s about how women strive to keep their families together. Ok OK.. It sounds familiar, but bear with me – I will explain how…

Maryaada Star Cast

There is a mother and a wife in Devyani – who knows her husband’s follies, but still hangs on to the threads of marital vows coz she loves her family too much, then there is her sister – Uttara who was pushed to the brink to kill her husband in an act of self defense. Now she has to live with the guilt of killing her husband and the burden of keeping her daughter’s memory of her father intact. The two daughters in laws of Devyani – Vidya and Priya have their own battles. While Vidya longs for her hubby’s attention (far from love and attraction), Priya has a dotting husband, but a demon of his father she has to live with day in and day out.
Heavy stuff huh? But well… It’s true. We all would know of one Devyani, Uttara, Vidya or Priya. They are personalities we know who are around us at different point of time in our life. Different names, different cities and towns. But same story…

The character Brahmanand Jhakkar fascinated me from the first day itself when I saw him on screen although he plays a negative role. He is Devyani’s husband and is one of the reasons behind all the women’s woes. Neither a good husband nor a good father (although he pretends to be one), this character has the ability to keep you hooked to the television set. And Aditya, well how can I miss mentioning his name. He was ALSO one of the reasons that I am hooked on watching TV soap. He is one gem that you can’t miss watching. I can give him the credit of being the most handsome guy on TV right now, worth a while, I must say. He plays that loving husband who loves his wife above all but then can’t bear to hear anything against his father and is always ready to risk his life for him. It’s interesting to watch how Aditya gets trapped in his very own father’s plans again and again and refuses to accept his dad’s darker side – well, he is not exposed to it, so far. I am dying to know how Aditya is going to react when he gets to know that his own father molested his wife. Thrilling, isn’t it? Not only this then there is this character called Gaurav who plays Vidya’s husband and is Aditya’s elder bro. This man married Vidya out of family pressure (read: Bramhanand) and has got an extra marital affair. His wife does everything to get his attention he overlooks her efforts. Although he gets annoyed with Vidya all the time but then he sometime surprises me with his concern for her wife. I am waiting to see a twist in this love triangle.

Ok… breathe! Keep the adrenaline rush for the later part of the story.

Don’t get scandalized there’s more to this. This SSP Brahmanand again has a desire to sleep with his sister in law Uttara, a widow the role played by Kamya Punjabi. What amused me was that here the father in law for a change is acting like a typical saas and annoying her bahu. You believe me or not but he does not allow Priya, wife of Aditya to sleep with her husband. Now that’s what I call a drama with too much of masala in it. It’s a change for the viewers to see something like this on television which is completely different from the regular saas-bahu thingy going on in almost all the channels.

Now I think there’s come relief to all the men who are facing domestic violence where they are cruelly forced by their wives to watch those torturous soaps. I am sure all the men who are reading my blog are now all charged up to know what happens next. Isn’t it? Now c’mon accept it.

Keep watching this space for more. There’s a lot more I want to shout about. I am now slowly turning into a television buff! And there are some scenes I like to watch again and it’s available on the website Star Player. Good fun huh Until next post… Chalios

No comments:

Post a Comment